Friday, October 1, 2010

La Bohème






Lillian Gish was an actress most popular in the 1910s and 20s (though her career continued up until the late 1980s when she starred in the Whales of August the trailer for which ran after the "little hershey's kisses" ad on The Princess Bride VHS). I was reminded of Miss Gish when I found an old disc of pictures that my brother had put together for me featuring a bunch of hilarious webcam pictures, drawings and videos from my high-school years (more on that another time) and I came across a drawing I had made of her. I remember falling absolutely head-over-heals for her adorable little face when I was researching silent films for a silent movie project I was working on in drama class (I wish I could find that video for you as it is mind blowingly silly and now far away enough from my present self that I'm no longer embarrassed by it but instead delighted). Her hair is pretty much my dream hair right now and fortunately, given my frizzy head of hair, quite achievable (must try that gorgeous up-do)!

Read more about Lillian here, here, and here.

I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style. - Lillian Gish

I've been slacking on the mixes, sorry! September was a crazy busy month but things have settled down for a bit and I'm spending this rainy night indoors with Landon, paint brushes and movies. Here is a mix I made a few weeks ago but have yet to post!

Man, you guys, I'm no good at writing these days, sorry (unless it's business emails, I'm brilliant at business emails. Maybe I will just start writing super formal business posts).

27 comments:

  1. Lillian Gish is one of my favorites, I get distracted looking at pictures like these sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haiku for hannah:

    Please come back up north
    And watch Princess Bride with me
    I miss you, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how softly lillian gish is lit in comparison the man next to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She always did have the most exquisite face. And as soon as you mentioned her, I started thinking about the Whales of August trailer. I can't even count how many times I must have seen it... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is adorable. I had seen pictures of her before but never knew her name. So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely pictures, especially the one where she is giving her bit of crumpet a seductive sidelong glance. If you figure out that updo please post a tutorial. My hair is naturally fluffy/wavy and I'd love the opportunity to make it into something so elegantly wild, but lack the know-how.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw one of her great movies "The wind" and was blown away by her performance.*

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh, my favourite lady! she is so wonderful. a delightful actress and forever my hairspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. La Boheme-my favorite opera.

    I always favored the Gish sisters (and Lillian especially) over Mary Pickford. I saw one of Mary Pickford's costumes and she was teenie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love her! Every time I see her face I just melt...she was so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. give me those locks of hair please! everyone had so much babe status back then

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is divine. x

    http://aglamorouswayofthinking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. don't start writing super formal business posts, i won't understand a word of it. I love the photo of here looking in the mirror.

    -Azede

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely collection of photos. the quote you posted is great, i can totally relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ваш блог прекрасен!))

    http://NEWBLOODSTYLE-HAUTECOUTURE.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Lillian Gish. I went through a phase a few years ago and checked out every movie from the library that she was in (well, mostly her silents). She was absolutely lovely!

    ♥ Casey

    ReplyDelete
  17. She looks soooo pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grah, that second to last photograph... Serious hair envy!

    Also, I don't know if you're familiar with the ballet of La Sylphide? For some reason reading this post made me think of it, and I think you'll like the story! (As well as the beautiful executions of the ballet, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  19. AFitz: I'M COMINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

    Emily: I'm so glad that somebody remembers that too! haha

    Senhorita Valdez: I need to see The Wind! All the stills looks so gorgeous!

    Tera: meee too!

    Azede: Don't worry! Too lazy for business all the time :(

    Heleen: thank you for the recommendation! I was not familiar!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. im so glad you did this post I had seen so many pretty picture of her and remembered her face but not her name. I wish i could make frizzy hair look as grogeous as she does
    bibi

    ReplyDelete
  21. She is so gorgeous! She looks very young somehow (she probably is though). I'm a sucker for silent movies - especially the clothes and the makeup, how superficial hm? :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. she has such an interesting look...she could be a model now

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you for sharing this pictures! she`s amazing actress!

    www.elekonchicboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I so love Lillian Gish! What a face! She always inspires me to paint, she's one of my very favorites...
    Love this blog by the way! amazing!~

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends! I do my best to respond to all of your thoughtful comments on your blogs, I apologize in advance if this is not always done in the most timely manner! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts with Thumbnails