Tuesday, February 15, 2011

FW Part 1: Kelsey Genna



As nyfw draws to an end I thought I would share with you a few interviews with inspiring women working in the fashion industry.

First up is Kelsey Genna, a young woman based in New Zealand. Kelsey's handmade dresses are deliciously dreamed up with generous floral references, pastels and sheer fabrics (all of which are presently my weakness)! Very much looking forward to seeing her collection, erm, blossom O_O.



1. What was your first fashion-related creation?
When I was fourteen I started getting into sewing. The first thing I ever made was a pair of pyjamas; I was a little more ambitious on my second project and decided to make a prom dress. At this time I truly knew nothing about pattern making or sewing. I didn’t even know rules about grain lines etc. so I just placed all the pattern pieces on the fabric wherever I wished. You certainly do learn from your mistakes!



2. What or who inspires you?

I find inspiration in many places. Photography / Film / Art / Nature. I am very interested and influenced by fashion history particularly trends from the 50s / 60s… but then again who isn’t, it was such a wonderful and exciting time in fashion. For my final project at university I worked around flowers, one of my great loves. I studied some of my favourite flowers and translated the colours, shapes and textures into each dress.



3. Biggest sartorial blunder?
Gosh, I’ve made many mistakes over the years… which I don’t think is too much of a bad thing, it is good to experiment while your young! The memories that make me cringe the most are from homemade videos my friends and I use to create. There was a time through my earliest years in high school where all we did was make fashion videos. I can remember wearing blonde frizzy wigs and dresses out of crochet blankets, pillow cases and bubble wrap. I would share photos but I think my friends would kill me!


4. What job/project would you consider "a dream come true"?

I am so lucky to be doing what I have always dreamt of doing. Everything is very exciting for me right now; I have finally finished studying and getting to work on Kelsey Genna properly. I could honestly say, what I am doing is ‘a dream come true’. Of course there are so many exciting projects and plans I have for the near and distant future. I would really love to travel and create pop up stores… even more so after seeing photos from The Loved One’s pop up store!!



5. Any advice to those wishing to follow in your footsteps?
Follow your dreams and never give up on them.



All photos courtesy of Kelsey Genna. Visit Kelsey here!

In Review: Elvia / Nicole / Tara-Lynn / Kathryn / Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Friends! I do my best to respond to all of your thoughtful comments on your blogs, I apologize in advance if this is not always done in the most timely manner! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts with Thumbnails