Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gift Guide!




This holiday season I wanted to shine a much deserved spotlight on some of my incredibly gifted friends in hopes that folks will be drawn to seek out handmade (or local) presents for their loved ones.

1. Alexandra Grecco: (no stranger around these parts) Alexandra's whimsical floral crowns and sparkly hair accessories would make for most beauteous present toppers, girlpal gifts or special somethings for the brides-to-be in your life.

2. I am in such awe of Anja Verdugo. This year she has managed to start her own clothing and accessories line while maintaining a popular vintage shop and blog and still finding time to nurse a very promising photography career. Anja can honestly do no wrong right now. Pop over to her shop to find leather kitty head coasters (seriously), phone cases, clutches and more.

3. Fieldguided: Kitty calendars pretty enough to frame! What more can I say? DREAMCATS!

4. This one is near and dear to my heart as I've had the privilege of watching this extraordinarily talented young lady grow into the artist she is today (yay livejournal friends)! You can find both prints and originals of Caitlin Shearer's artwork at her shop (and even request a custom portrait).

5. Another dear friend, Tara-Lynn (also no stranger around here). Tara-Lynn's deliciously soft, incredibly unique, one-of-a-kind knits would make the perfect gift for any northern dweller (she has goodies for warm weather folk too).

6. The candy hued jewels from The Vamoose slay me. I want to eat her website.

More handmade goodies to investigate:

Ambit, for stunningly structured handmade apparel, hats and jewelry.
Frances Baker, for adorable handmade dresses and underthings from down under.
We Never Sleep, for gorgeous handmade jewelry (she'll be selling at the Holiday Sale this Saturday, see flyer after the jump for more details).
Nadinoo, I just want everything for myself!

Vintage Shops to investigate:

Vintage Shoe Love, for an incredible selection of vintage shoes.
Golden Fur Vintage, Emily's sherbet hued collection of vintage dresses and separates.
Kennedy Holmes, for an affordable collection of hand selected goods put together by the beautiful Kennedy.
Heart City Vintage, one of a kind goodies from the 50s up selected by my Philadelphia twin, Hannah!
The Exhausted Etiquette, a sweet selection of vintage attire. (That star blouse, I want it!)
Shop Lawrence, beautifully curated by a beautiful lady.
Fancy Fine Vintage goodies selected by the charismatic Ashley Ording.

Local Shops to investigate:

Catbird, the best gift shop in the neighbourhood! For perfumes, candles, jewelry and much more.
Dalaga, lovely sister owned shop with a beautiful selection of apparel, purses, jewelry, footwear and more (including The Loved One as of last Friday)!
End of Century, for locally made apparel and jewelry along with vintage furniture and monthly artist exhibitions.

More...

Worn Fashion Journal, a fantastic, Canadian run publication that discusses fashion in a way that I've not seen any other fashion magazine do (more on them coming up as I review their latest issue :D).

Vegan Secret Supper, a Brooklyn supper club hosted by the best vegan chef I know!

I'm sure I'm forgetting some pretty spectacular people, feel free to share links to your own small business/handmade creations in the comments!

Please consider supporting your local business owners this holiday season :).





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Friends! I do my best to respond to all of your thoughtful comments on your blogs, I apologize in advance if this is not always done in the most timely manner! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts with Thumbnails